Monday, May 10, 2010

Rest, Relax and Eat Right

All things I didn't do this past weekend. I decided to push myself a little bit and volunteer as staff for a 4-day 3-night leadership conference for high school kids. Now this may sound fairly innocuous, but this is where you are wrong.

The day begins at 7:30 for the delegates when we wake them up. That means that staff are awake as early as 5:00 making pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast in the residence kitchens. We are lucky to get three hours of sleep because by the time the delegates get into bed and the staff meeting finishes up it's usually around 3:00am.

The days are absolutely grueling with constant cheering, dancing running all over the place with a little bit of down time for motivational speakers and sessions on leadership.

And the food . . . delegates eat first always, so if there isn't enough the staff don't eat. Or we eat things like burgers and chicken wings and pizza, pizza, pizza. Candy and cake all hours of the day, trying to replace sleep with food.

I know this sounds really really awful, but I absolutely LOVED IT!! My body was up to the demands and my Crohn's didn't get in the way much at all. It definitely let me know near the end that it wasn't all that happy, but that didn't stop me from having an AMAZING time.

I guess it really proved to me that I am okay, I can still do the things I love. I'm not an invalid and I am stronger than I think I am. Now I'm going to collapse into bed and try to catch up on my sleep a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment