Wednesday, July 25, 2012

IBDamned


IBD: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (aka Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)

ALSO

I'll be damned: exclamation/idiom

I feel like I need to reconnect to this blog again. So I'll start with a linguistic reflection. And I'll admit, I googled the meaning of this phrase for some inspiration. At my speech clinic, our main client base are children and young adults. So we do a lot of work with literal/figurative meanings and idioms with our higher functioning kids. Let's all say hello to my inner language nerd.

When I first chose this name, I was thinking more along the lines of an exclamation or condemnation: "damn you Crohn's disease" for what you've done to my body, and my life. I was upset, and angry about my diagnosis. I really needed somewhere to vent, because I have this communication issue, not wanting to burden people with my issues.

But after some reflection, I think this blog name suits me even better. Because it can also stand for a refusal: "I'll be damned if I let this disease stop me!"

It can also stand in as an exclamation of surprise, "Well, I'll be damned!". And this disease was certainly a surprise. Maybe one I should have expected, seeing as how I had a couple years of debilitating abdominal pain. But I don't think anyone can really prepare for the baggage that comes along with having a chronic illness.

Until next time, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment